We don't always like being nonplussed

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Marvel and Capcom (and Hangul) vs Me

Pretty much every game I own is either in English or Japanese. With English of course it's no problem, and once you've got a handy chart of katakana there's usually enough English in the Japanese that I can get by.

There's one game that falls into neither of these categories, though: my copy of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is Korean. If it were anything even slightly more complex than a Capcom fighter, which I can pretty much play in my sleep by now, I'd have been completely lost. (Talking language-wise here; Capcom fighters are chock full o' intricacy but they don't tax your reading comprehension much.)

 I will totally leave it to you, Cable, since I have no idea what anything says!

The sad part is that, thinking about it, I'd be equally lost with any other language that has no English words in it. Korean has the added disadvantage of using a completely unique written language I have no knowledge of at all, but on the few occasions I've looked at games in Spanish or French I've had no luck either. And playing those would probably be slow going because I'd want to stop and look things up on Babelfish every five minutes. In some strange way, not knowing how to type things in Japanese is a bonus, since I accept that I'm not going to understand anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment