We don't always like being nonplussed

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Flailthroughs - Jump Superstars! (Part 7)

Onward to the new world!

The big damn desert of Jump Superstars nothingness.
I enter the tornado with great hope, planning to see and experience a world with hopefully much less boxes, and more fighting people. Less fruit pirate would be nice as well, but I'm not holding out for that one since I could use the healing items to be honest. I enter the tornado, expecting there to be some sort of cut scene, or perhaps a bit of information... Nope, doesn't look like it. I am, however, standing in the middle of a big damn desert, and there is one stage in front of me... This game isn't as linear as it sounds, it's just a straight line most of the time, where you can only go forward or backward... not linear at all.


I enter the first normal looking stage and am met by... no boxes! No, it's true! I'm fighting the unusually proportioned girl from One Piece, and it looks like it's just a plain old battle, yay! And then there are the fruit boxes, which I should have known. Those guys got around, didn't they? I mean, this is a damn DESERT, not an ocean in sight. There's some sort of oasis, but I don't suspect there are very many pirates that inhabit a body of water smaller than the average Ford Topaz.

Well anyway, I beat Nami with little trouble and am given... stuff, I think. Likely more panels. I've actually collected a few more, since I've gone back and beat past stages a few times again, because I think I've figured out what the katakana is telling me. Usually I'm wrong, but one of the other options somehow gets covered too, so the net gain is worth the headache. Anyway, on to the exploding B stage, which seems to be the next option.

Oh god, they're learning! This time they come in pairs, Nami and the other guy that isn't Luffy, and while one of them fights me, the other one does its damnedest to collect all of the fruit on the stage, healing itself and then switching out with his partner! Games aren't supposed to be that smart!... Well, at least not ones with fruit pirates and floating, scolding pirate heads (I see a theme here, do you?). I manage to beat the two of them with only a little bit of effort, but it's still a pain in the butt, especially since both the enemies have two forms, each has its own health bar.

I move on to the next stage, it's fairly unremarkable, I just have to kill the person that has "2P" above their head... But I noticed something at this point. One of my helper characters that runs across the screen when I use it is a Japanese schoolgirl, likely from "Generic Romance Manga," like the other girl. Her special power was something I ignored aside from it's usefulness, which was it made the enemies stop so I could run away or attack. I finally noticed this time around that her power is to MAKE THE ENEMY CRY. She runs at them, falls to her knees, and starts talking. In response, the enemy then begins bawling like a three year-old that just got punched in the eye, and they fall to their knees. I can only assume that this girl is telling them some sort of hear-wrenching tale about her Plot Cancer, and they are so overtaken by high school angst that they lose their will to live. Or at least that's how I see it.

Note: I am not making light of the dreadful disease that effects millions of people worldwide every year: High School Romance Manga... No! I mean Cancer! ESPECIALLY Plot Cancer, a disease that appears suddenly, and can strike at any time, as long as it's a dramatic moment, or if it's an upbeat romance manga, (I've seen them, they do exist! Unicorns too!) It can go into remission at any moment, thus bringing up the mood... then come back and strike like an aardvark in the night, silent and deadly.

I fiddle around with panels for a bit more now and get a few new ones. Nami, some other girl from One Piece (they're like pencils with breasts, I swear to god) and what I thought was another of Stoner Kid from Shaman King, but turns out to be someone that just looks a great deal like him. I probably should have noticed that the names weren't even remotely the same symbols, but what the hell do you expect out of me? I'm obviously totally insane.

I think that will conclude this day's update, as I'm starting to wonder where exactly it is that I put my pants. More tomorrow... if anyone's reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment