We don't always like being nonplussed

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pokemon Black - Day 18 (Ice, Ice baby!)

Look at this guy.


Yabukuron, the Trash Bag Pokemon. Terrified of Zigzagoon.
His name is Yabukuron, but I'm going to call him Trash, since it fits perfectly in the five character name slot. I'm going to have to raise him up at some point, but it'll probably after I've beaten the Elite 4, and am trying to fill out my 'dex. I really can't stress how neat I find this idea, since it's obviously the idea of a Pokemon evolving to fit in with his environment... Of course, it would also mean I wore plate armor when I went to take out the trash at night, but I digress.

I also caught one of these guys, so I don't have to bother leveling up Choroneko later on.

Something about Lepardas is just weird.
Holy shit, another wild double encounter!

Chillarmy looks kinda Tezuka.
I want that Koala thing, and I want it badly... Which obviously means that I killed it in one hit with my weakest attack, damn it.

I only stopped to mention it because that's only the second double encounter in the wild that I've had for the entire game, and wouldn't mind more of them. They would be great for leveling two Pokemon instead of one... Probably the reason they were added in, now that I think about it. You really do have to do a lot more leveling in this than any other Pokemon game I've played.


Gochimu, the... Gothic Lolita Pokemon!?
Jeebus that thing is freaky. It's called Gochimu, but... I guess I'll call it Bowie, because it looks like it steals babies. I guess it's supposed to be some sort of goth Pokemon, because of the name, and the colors... Ok, yeah, I've been to my fair number of goth clubs, and you do see things that look sort of like that crawling around the edges of the dance floor some nights.

HA! Finally caught one of these little bastards!

Chillarmy, the Kimba the White Chinchilla Pokemon.
He's called a Chillarmy, and I like that name so I think I'll just call the little dude Chill for short. He's probably a bastard, because I've never met a Chinchilla that wasn't... Then again, I won't hold to that judgment, because it could just be the smell of cats on me that makes them assume I'm going to eat them. I'd never do that, though... Too small.

It looks like this is good for a lot of double battles, which means this area is turning out to be awesome for power leveling. Sweet deal, I hope.

This area is turning out to be way too hard to level up in, so I'm moving on across the massive bridge... Yes, I know I said it looked good for power leveling back there, but I was wrong. Don't make me turn this review around!

So Pokemon attack you on the bridge... Or at least one Pokemon attacks you on the bridge.

Koaruhi, the blue duck Pokemon and the least weird one today.
I has a blue ducky... who I will call Daffy, since Donald won't fit. Koaruhii is its real name, and it seems to be the only thing you encounter. Well, not quite. There are little shadows that appear on the bridge from time to time, and they either give you these odd looking feathers, which I don't know what they're for, or an encounter with the duck man there. After I catch the duck I head over the bridge and find myself on a small island with another bridge on the other side. Once I'm sure there are no hidden items, I move on to the other bridge where I run into Librarian, or Cheren as I'm informed is his real name...

Cheren meets Elvis
Wow, that's almost four weeks that it took me to give in and ask someone, I'm kind of impressed. Anyway, he seems to be talking to Elvis, or possibly Smokey of Smokey and the Bandit fame, but I see no bandits in in the area... I am not ignoring the chance that they're ninja bandits, but I'm moving on. They talk for a moment and then wander off, and I'm left to explore this strange new town. There's a pretty big indoor market here, and a few of the people give me items which is always nice, and I think that I've found the gym here.

(A side note: Smokey and the Ninja Bandits would be an awesome movie.)

I used to call this part of an RPG 'Find the Trigger.' -Ed.
Well there's a problem. Someone is standing in front of the door, and we all know that means that either the gym leader is out, or I've got to find/do/activate some sort of magic McGuffin that he will somehow hear about and return in order to fight me... Well, let's go McGuffin hunting. For those of you that don't know, a McGuffin was defined by Alfred Hitchcock as "the things the spies in the movie are looking for, but the audience doesn't care".

To the south there's a warehouse district, which I explore, noting that there are quite a large number of trainers, as well as a reasonable sized grassy area. It's while I'm walking through it that I run into this thing...

Banipucchi, the Ice Cream Pokemon. And blue ducks are looking DAMNED normal now, thank you.
Is it an ice cream cone? Is it a pile of dry poopie? Who knows, but it's names is Banipucchi, but I'm going to call him Vanil. Why? Because he's Ice, Ice Baby. Yes that's right, I went there.

Anyway, I head down to the bottom of the area, which is a dead end from the look of it, but I decide to look around anyway. Cheren comes runs down out of nowhere and starts talking to me about something, possibly the deficit... Then stands there, and I assume he wants me to go into the warehouse, since the door to it is right by us. I move inside and sure enough he follows, but from the mist in the air it's starting to look like this place may be on fire. That can't be good.

Actually, it's the opposite of fire, it's ice. This is a large ice warehouse, and I think I'm supposed to go through it for some reason. Well, onward and upward as they say.

Ahh, sliding puzzles, how I have not missed you. Thankfully they all seem pretty simple, and the trainers spread throughout the area all have pretty low level Pokemon compared to me... Though this thing is just a freak of nature.

Dotekkotsu, the crazy-ass-thing-holding-a-girder Pokemon.
At least this place has given me a chance to level up a few of my Pokemon.

Well it seems the object of this place was to get to an open shipping container in the upper left corner, at which point Cheren comes up to me and asks "......?" which I think is something we would all like to know. We go into the container, and we're met with roughly eight Plasma Knights, all surrounding some helpless goober who seems to be, for some reason, a bit nervous.

But I don't have enough lunch money for eight people!
That was actually pretty challenging, as I was forced to fight four Plasma Knights in a row before the cavalry arrived.

So he's more Smokey than the Bandit.

No clue who that guy really is, but he's stealing my thunder, and I resent that.

They run at the Plasma goons and then haul them off, likely, or at least hopefully, to prison. That would be nice, because I don't think that has ever happened in the history of a Pokemon game, though I'm sure I'm wrong, and someone will tell me where.

So I guess it's a trip to the Pokemon center, and tomorrow we'll see if we can't tackle that gym!

Keep reading guys, I promise I try to keep things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment