We don't always like being nonplussed

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pokemon Black - Day 2 (There and back again, a trainer's tale.)

So let's start with finding out what the local pokemon are around here, shall we? I'm pretty damn enthusiastic, I can't even explain the level of excitement I'm feeling toward this game, it's just... it's like the first time I played a pokemon game, having started with Red. I don't know anything about this game other than the basic idea behind it, and everything is new to me... Only now it's in a language I don't speak, and I didn't get the strategy guide for my birthday.

...Yoteri? It's a Yorkshire Terrier Pokemon! Ed.
Stupid? Yes, some of you might be thinking that the doggy pokemon looks stupid, but I'd like to remind you all that this is this game's Rattata. He's not supposed to look cool, he's there to help you level grind, and to have an early evolution/use the HMs you get early in the game. I love this little guy.
Soggy, the first Pokemon caught by Pants!I named him Soggy, it's short for Sort of a Doggie... what, I'm allowed to be childish now and then, aren't I?

Now look at this guy.

Sqirk, AKA Minezumi
Tell me he isn't bad ass, I dare you. No, he is, because he is this game's Pidgey... wait, shouldn't he be a flying type? No matter, I'm going to capture him, and name him Sqirk, short for SquirKill. I should at this point mention that Soggy and Sqirk are really named, Minezumi and Yooteri respectively, which are as good as name as any in my book. Anyway, I'd say it's time for some serious power leveling, because I don't know about you, but I won't move to the first town till my starters are at least level ten.

Level 2 pokemon... level 2 pokemon, everywhere! This wouldn't be so much of a problem, but they decided to do something in this game that they haven't done in any others, according to my friend, they now scale the XP based on your pokemon's level. This means that while in a previous game I might be making 20xp off of a level 2, in this new wacky world, I'm making about... 8. Oh well, no biggy, on to the next town!

Well, it looks interesting so far, and the Pokemon Center looks like it's been taking steroids something fierce.
Man, that's a fancy Pokemon Center!
Professor Bladdernut is waiting for me outside, and when I talk to her I'm taken on a tour of the center, yay! Because I don't know what that's like, and... oh, wait, apparently I don't. There seems to be a store inside of the Pokemon Center. Ok, I like that, it's a nice change, and the man in the green hat standing there gave me a... postcard? That's probably what happened when I decided to poke around with the mystery gift option for laughs. I can't wait to see what happens with that.

I head back outside to see what trouble I can get into, and sure enough there are two strangers talking to each other! This is a sure sign of danger, trust me on that. As a... what, ten year old boy? Maybe twelve? Anyway, you know if there's trouble you've got to stick your nose into it. It's like the law or something in pokemon games, or at least young people are magnetically attracted to danger... No, that last part is pretty much true in real life, so there's no point in arguing with it. On we go!
It's a Team Plasma rally! Chainmail for everyone!

Oh boy, people all lined up evenly, waving a flag and wearing the same outfit! This is either going to be an awesome cult, or some sort of interpretive line dance number. Either way, it's evil. I suspect that I now know who the bad guys are... and now my friend tells me that they're called Team Plasma, but just for keeping things not too clear, I'm going to call them the Knightly Order of Plasma. Let's be honest, if these whack-jobs existed in the real world, that's probably what they would call themselves.

Just what every evil organization needs! A man with absolutely ridiculous hair wearing... it appears to be some sort of turtleneck Angora bathrobe, but I guess that's just the style in America when it comes to madmen... No, wait, I watch the news and for the most part they wear suits and ties, and claim what they're doing is for your own personal good. The man babbles for far longer than I care for, and far shorter than a real person would do in this situation with that large of a crowd, and then wanders off with his entourage. I am talking to Librarian about the silly outfits and a man comes up to us, he is wearing a baseball cap, but he is not me, so this instantly makes me suspicious of him as well.

Oh, the man has identified himself to me as N, since his name isn't "???" anymore. I saw a picture of him in the instruction booklet, so I'll just go out on a limb here and bet hard cash on him being the person I have to beat after the Elite 4. And he's attacking me! Neat! I wish I could have gotten a picture of the strange cat he sent out, but I'm still getting the hang of this camera, and by that I mean it hates me with a passion that I cannot fully comprehend with my simple mortal mind.

Anyway, I beat him.
Pants beat N! ...oh, that's neat: the money is apparently Yen in the Japanese games! -Ed.
And he wanders off, likely after telling me to believe in myself and my pokemon. Librarian talks to me for a bit and wanders off. I guess that means that I should get going toward the next route to see what lies ahead.

Check out what lies ahead in my next update! I'm as curious as the rest of you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment