We don't always like being nonplussed

Friday, November 5, 2010

Pokemon Black - Day 25 (Pretty Pretty, Shiny Shiny.)

I begin my walk back up the northern route and take a right when the 2x4s let me. A little while down the route I get a... I don't know, a Pokephone call?

Yeah, I would've guessed sister- but there's the katakana for 'Mama' hovering over her head.
I think that's my mom, or at least my character's mother... It's a bit disturbing that she doesn't look the least bit older than the hero of this game, but age has always been a very vague thing in the world of anime. She talks to me for a while about god knows what, then hangs up. I guess whatever it was is important. but if it's that important then they'll send someone to talk to me about it... If they hadn't just done that with that particular phone call.

I follow the route to the end, the Pokemon are kind of low level, and nothing that I haven't encountered yet. I see some sort of large mountain, or possibly a cliff, and as I approach the steps going up it's side who do I encounter?


I prefer to think 'Pants!' is a traditional Isshu greeting.
Cheren, of course. I'm starting to wonder if he isn't turning to the dark side, since he hasn't really been showing his face around as much as he used to, and isn't nearly as talkative. He wants to battle, and his party is between level 33 and 35, which is still pretty easy to take out with a party at level 45. Actually, I only used my Enbuo even though he was weak against his starter, because he was a bit lower level than the rest of my party.

Once the battle is over he talks to me for a few moments more, then we look up as Fire Gym Leader talks to us from the top of the cliff, then jumps off of it... Let me repeat that, he jumps off of the cliff.

Not so sure he's the Fire Gym Leader... I think Cheren is calling him Adeku the Champion. -Ed.
This guy is trying way too hard to be cool... but it's working. Now having regained a bit of my respect after his last appearance where he made two four year-olds fight us, and then to top it off he gives me an HM! Awesome! You're a bro now, and I forgive you for making me battle kindergartners. It's Surf, so I guess this means that it's time for me to start looking for water on the route ahead. At the top of the hill and past a Hiker trainer battle, I find a pretty evil-looking cave mouth. I guess this is where I'm headed, so here we go!

Caves still look pretty cavey in Glorious Pokemon Black 3D.
Yep, this is definitely a cave.


Does John Wayne usually sit around in caves waiting for young boys to show up?
And that is definitely Cheren and... is it John Wayne, or the leader of Team Plasma? It doesn't look like he's wearing an angora bath robe, so I'll do with gym leader John Wayne. He talks to us for a little while, passes on what I assume is useful or highly important information, then wanders off... My bet is he just informed us that Team Plasma is in the cave waiting for us.

Underground Quarry? I mean, PokeQuarry?Or not. This doesn't seem to be a town, it just looks like a giant construction site. It was only a few feet down the hall from where I spoke with Cheren a moment or two ago. I don't know if this part is indoors or outdoors, but it looks like it's a straight line so far. There may be a few twists and turns later on, since this place is looking huge, but nothing too bad to someone with massive amounts of free time on hand.

Dotekkotsu, the Pokemon that BETTER have at least one Steel-type attack.
Caught this guy while going through... I'm not entirely sure what to call him, so I guess...Lemar. Dotekkotsu here is the evolved form of Dokkora, the little guy that carries around a block of wood with him.

So far I'm doing pretty well. I don't know how far I am through, and my Enbuoo is running low on PP for almost all of his attacks. I don't want to use an elixir in the hopes of saving all of the ones I run into for the Elite 4, but I really want to try to get him to level 50 before the next gym. Thankfully on the third or possibly forth floor down, I run into a random trainer doctor who fixes that problem after a battle with a couple of Psychic type Pokemon.

Bottom floor of the cave, I think, and there's almost nothing here worth mentioning.

Random underground house!
The house here is empty, so I guess it's time to start exploring more and hoping I can find a way out.

Ooh, pretty! Are you in there, Tritoch?
This is not a way out, but it is really pretty. I'm sure at some point in time this place will end up being important, but at the moment I don't seem to be able to do anything at all.

Have a made a Knights who say Ni joke yet? Can't remember.
Yep, this is looking more like it. I guess I was right in assuming that there would be Plasma goons in here, because I've played Pokemon before and that's all that they do. Hang out in caves, try to take over major corporations, stand around in towers, and also at old archeological sites where they try to control some epic Pokemon, or end the world. This is standard operational procedure for them, and I doubt any of us will ever know why.

The goons talk for a bit and then wander off, leaving Cheren standing there. Me being the main character, I decide that rather than stand around like a doofus, I'll actually follow them through the cave door. I do so, and am instantly met by a man with the most magnificent coif that I have ever seen in a Pokemon game.

Your call, audience: Fry from Futurama, or Vault Boy?
He talks for a bit and asks me something to which I say yes, then wanders off and leaves me in what has to be the strangest town I have ever seen.

But I'm going to have to call it now. Enjoy the weekend, and there'll be more information on this on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. the shiny rock is to evolve eevee into glaceon : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, thanks! I haven't gotten that far into my US copy of Black yet, though That Guy blew through it a month ago...

    ReplyDelete