We don't always like being nonplussed

Monday, November 15, 2010

Pokemon Black - Day 31 (The Beard of Destiny!)

So it's on to the next, neon-looking area which according to the map is the next town. A few steps past the door and I see this guy right here.


Meet Dragon Gym Leader! Looks like Akuma with a ponytail to me.
It's the person I assume is the Dragon Gym Leader! And yes, that should be capitalized, since I'm calling him Dragon Gym Leader. Just think of Gym as his middle name, ok? He comes up to talk to me about something, likely taffy. I like taffy, so I try to keep interested in the conversation, but after a few short word balloons, he hauls me off to the right and I see this giant pile of crap waiting to happen.


Yay, it's Team Plasma Class Photo Day!
The Knightly Order of Plasma is in town, and I'm sure they're ready to cause all sorts of trouble for everyone, and by everyone I mean me. I notice one of the other gym leaders standing off by the side of the crowd, and I wish that for one moment someone was smart enough to pull out a gun and shoot the leader of Plasma in the face. Of course, that will never, ever happen.

Anyway, Angora Bathroom Man paces back and forth telling people about the dangers of gum disease, or something along those lines, then wanders off aimlessly with the rest of his honor guard. The crowd is obviously stunned by what he said, so I'll assume they assumed they were safe, being regular flossers. Once they've moved off in random directions like the cattle they are, I watch as the gym leader from... I can't remember which gym, talks to a man with the fiercest beard that I have ever seen in my life.

Hmm... know what? I'm thinking I was wrong about the guy with red hair. I'm guessing that the man with the beard that launched a thousand ships might be the guy. Why? Because the silhouette in the badge screen doesn't look at all like the man with red hair, but looks a lot closer to the old guy there. That means that guy with red hair has to be the member of the Elite 4 that you see around the game before you finally get there and discover it to your surprise.

The little girl gym leader then begins to show me around the city for a moment or two, then wanders off and seems to expect me to follow her. Before that, I think a picture of the city is in order.

Did I already make the Tron reference? Yeah? Damn.
Yes, the sidewalks are lined in neon lights... That is freaking awesome. If ever I have a large sum of money, I will build a house where all of the sidewalks are set up like this. Anyway, the girl brings me into what I think is the gym, and I'm brought to a confrontation with the beard with the man attached.

Mr. Beard's name appears to be Shaga.
I don't know if you can make it out from this picture, but his beard seems to be spiked, like it is ready to kill at a moment's notice. Also, I don't think it photographs well, but he seems to be wearing suspenders... This could be the most dangerous man in this world, and I fear for the safety of my pokemon when I finally have to battle him and his mighty facial hair.

After a few minutes, the Chuck Norris of pokemon wanders off, and I'm left alone with the little girl... I guess he headed to his gym, but I'm going to explore before I go anywhere! Yay for exploration! Upstairs there's a football player, because that's what they do. They sit around in a house in their full uniform and do nothing at all but give items to strangers that stop by. The girl across the table gave me something as well when I said yes to her, so do that while you're there... Or else!

Up the road next to the Pokemon Center and the second house you can enter there, there's a girl with all three of the monkey evolutions that you have to battle at once. Kind of hard, but not so bad if you're ten or so levels higher than her, since I just had my Embuoo kill them all himself. Upstairs in the house there's another three pokemon battle, this one with a Riguree, a Kojofuu and a Komatana. Once again it's a pretty simple battle.

Well, I guess it's off to the last gym!

To the Beardcave, Robin!
What a fitting location for such a mighty beard.

The Beardcave has a giant Hot Wheels track! Alright!

And yes, I'm definitely sensing a dragon theme here. All of the trainers seem to have their pokemon in the 40s, and my team is only in the 50s at best... This could be trouble, but I'm willing to give it a try... There will be much saving along the way, though.

The object of the gym seems to be to jump on switches and cause the giant dragon statue in the middle of the room to move to create a new path through the room. It's a fairly straight line as usual, but that's probably a good thing.

Ok, it's a line, but it's a really fucking long line, so don't be surprised if you have to run out to the Pokemon Center once or twice. There are somewhere around ten trainers I think, and all of them are pretty tough.

Sorry about the lack of pictures up to this point, By the way, but I wanted to save it for the important bit!
And yes, I'm definitely sensing a dragon theme here. All of the trainers seem to have their pokemon in the 40s, and my team is only in the 50s at best... This could be trouble, but I'm willing to give it a try... There will be much saving along the way, though.

The object of the gym seems to be to jump on switches and cause the giant dragon statue in the middle of the room to move to create a new path through the room. It's a fairly straight line as usual, but that's probably a good thing.

Ok, it's a line, but it's a really fucking long line, so don't be surprised if you have to run out to the Pokemon Center once or twice. There are somewhere around ten trainers I think, and all of them are pretty tough.

Sorry about the lack of pictures up to this point, By the way, but I wanted to save it for the important bit!

No giant beard-penny? Aww...
Houston, we have a beard

Gym Leader Shaga!
And a mighty beard it is.

Now, I'm going to give you a bit of a play by play of this, since it's the last gym, and we want this to be good.

He sends out his Onondo, which is only level 41.
I sent out Gamageorge who is level 50.
My Gamageorge comes out and uses what I think is Surf, taking out half of the opponent's HP in one shot. It uses some stat raising ability, and then I use Surf again.which leaves it with what's probably 1 HP... then the fucker uses a super potion. On the next round I use some sort of water attack which takes him down to half, and he uses some stat boost skill. the next round I use the water attack again, and he uses a stat boost skill... Then the bastard uses a super potion again. Finally I decide to use some sort of sonic attack I have had since I caught this pokemon, and it crits and kills Onondo in one hit.

Next pokemon!

Looks like it's a Kirimugan, which kills my Gamageorge in one hit... damn. I send out Victini, since I can afford to lose him if he kicks it right now. I use what I think is Psychic and that kills the Kirimugan in one hit, which actually isn't what I had planned, but I'm cool with all the same. Might as well go with Vic for the next battle too.

This time he sends out...

Ononokusu/Ononokus, the Downright Terrifying Pokemon.

Death incarnate... Also known as Ononokusu.

Well, Vic used Psychic, and it took the majority of his hit points. It uses what I'm pretty sure is a dark type attack, and that leaves Vic with 3HP. I figure the hell with it, then use Psychic again... SUCCESS!

I DID IT! I BEAT THE LAST GYM LEADER!

But before that, let's get one last look at that magnificent beard.

Man, Shaga looks like he could beat the crap out of you.
And now the badge.

It's called the Legend Badge, but I think we'll call it the Beard Badge.
And now the beard again.

Farewell, Shaga! We shall miss your mighty beard.
And that's it. He talked to me for a few minutes about... something. He mentioned N, which I can't really say I care about, and then lets me leave. And that's it for today, readers! We'll have more of the continuing adventure tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment