We don't always like being nonplussed

Friday, December 3, 2010

Torneko Day 5: Damn those Warpy Lumps!

So the next level looks pretty much like the last one. I drop in next to a +3 version of my regular shield- total defense power 9. Sorry Spiky Shield, but you just can't compete with that. It finally occurs to me that the thing that nearly killed me yesterday was a Mummy- the new shield takes a lot of the bite out of that attack. Takes me about three turns to Lirpa one to death.


Found another new weapon, and I'm getting a little hungry, so I eat my bread to make room in the sack. Let's see it:



Some kind of rapier, looks like! Lirpa's stronger though, so I'm sticking with that.

I run across a Sukara (Defense Up) scroll when something hits me: this isn't Dragon Quest, it's a Mystery Dungeon game. Odds are good those Oomph scrolls provide a +1 each to my equipped weapon permanently. Time to try it!



Yes! I can add +4 to my Lirpa and another +1 to my shield! I shall be invincible! Maybe even strong enough to kill Magicians! ...well, let's not go nuts. But thus emboldened, I head down to the next level.


Slightly rougher-looking. And the music, which is always some variation on Torneko's theme from Dragon Quest IV, is getting more and more ominous the further down I go. But actually I can take out a Magician in two swings now! And faster than I can photograph I hit a Pit Trap and I'm down another level whether I actually wanted to be or not.



New enemy: Minidemon. They probably know some serious fire mojo but I'm gonna take a swing at it anyway. In the end it took me six hits, but he never even tried to hit me. That's... that's worrisome. Either way, it's dead, and I have a loaf of bread.

Found another weapon and used a monster locator scroll to make space. That's when I see this:



Wow, that's a lot of monsters up there! Let's go look.



Hey, it's one of... those! I forget what they're called, but it's moderately strong and durable. Northward ho!



Two sleeping Minidemons- Japanese name "Baby Satan" -and a Mummy. Aw hell, I'll take the Mini to the north. ...and now I've found out two important things in short order: Minidemons steal your stuff, and the lumps with staves warp you away to a random point on the floor you're on. Time to track down some demons.



Gas Trap! Luckily the monsters are far away whilst I snooze. I track down most of the Minidemons who stole stuff that I don't even really need- but dammit, it's Mine! -and then head down to floor 9. So far the only monster has been a Warpy Lump, but I found a new kind of arrows. I'll test those in a moment.


Ooh, Chimaera/Wyvern! Could be nasty. Let's try the new arrow! Turns out they're the kind that go through the enemy and keep right on going. Could be handy, but I think I'll save them for a rainy day. The Chimaera can do a fair bit of damage to me- 11 a hit- but it only takes two swings of a Lirpa+4 to bring it down, happily.

Know what would be nice, tho'? If Warpy Lumps weren't so damned Warpy. I keep getting sent back to the same already-looted chambers. At least send me someplace new! ...hey, he did. And there's some money, and I finally got the drop on one of the little jerks and killed him. My reward: more piercing arrows. Not too bad.



Now I am toe to toe with a Chimaera who will kill me on the next hit. If I have healing items I don't recognize them. But I realize I may have misinterpreted another of the items as well: the Zoom Herb. It may only warp you from place to place on the level. So if I throw it at the Chimaera...


Seems to have worked. Now I'll eat some herbs and see if any of them really are healing herbs! ...yup, first mystery herb I tried did the job and I'm maxed out. Onward to floor 10, which we'll look at on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment