We don't always like being nonplussed

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Torneko Day 18: Stop the music!

Hot damn! The first room of Floor 20 nets me an Escape Scroll. I've got a couple herbs again too, and the Ikazuchi Staff is great for taking out otherwise-resilient, high XP-yield Golems. What I really need though, if I'm to get to Floor 27, is some BREAD.



Later on the floor I find a small loaf that gets me to 80% Stamina. I also have an encounter- which I didn't photograph because there's really no point- with a completely invisible enemy. 150 XP, but it's fairly tough. Whatever it was.

Floor 21 nets me more bread, and valuable information. Do not ever, EVER, use a Fire Breath Herb on a Bomb Crag. Not only did I nearly die, it destroyed a new, nasty-looking enemy before I could get a screen grab. Still not sure if that's the good news or not. But I did remember another valuable Mystery Dungeon tip: a completely discharged staff will give you one last shot of whatever its magic is if you chuck it at the enemy.


Ah, there's the new thing! (A Cyclops, or maybe Gigantes?) It does a whopping 23 damage to me per hit, so I bust out another Fire Breath Herb which kills it, and gets me a yet more whopping 380 XP.


Another new enemy- they used to be called Octets and I'm not sure of the current name. They can use some kind of confusion gaze on you, so I pull out an Herb once I'm pointed in the right direction and confuse the little jerk right back. 250 XP for that, and I'm up to Lv. 17. Still hideously underleveled.

A useful piece of information for when you're confused by an Octet: menu-based commands like using Herbs or Staves work, but your physical attack may go wild. So bear that in mind. I survive a pair of Octets, but it costs me all my healing herbs. But my reward is a Big Bread, so it may have been worth it.


New decor on Floor 22, and the music is sounding a bit more sinister. It's not based on Torneko's theme anymore either- hasn't been for a few levels. When the orchestra's not on my side anymore, I start to get worried. I take out a Golem and one of those invisible bastards, and now I'm pretty heavily wounded with no healing mojo. But I press on- I'm so close to Floor 27 I can taste it. It tastes like dirt, and monsters.

Tomorrow: we press on!

No comments:

Post a Comment