We don't always like being nonplussed

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Torneko Day 9: Safe! (Or whatever that key item is.)

I forgot to mention yesterday: I also killed a TrickBag/Bag o' Laughs. When you don't have any money they just sit there with their entirely hypothetical hands in their equally nonexistent pockets, not attacking you and having nothing to steal from you. It dropped 995 gold, and then the one I killed just now before it reached me dropped another 700-some. And then there's this!




I don't know what it is but I presume it's important.
I wander some more, get zapped around by Warpy Lumps, and kill a Minidemon with arrows. It drops a Medical Herb for me, which is nice.


Then there's a Hork. If it's like its DQ counterpart it should be durable but not too bad to fight. I think it has breath that rots your bread as well- good thing I just ate my Big Bread.


We're still going down so whatever that item is, it's not the goal of this visit.



Rogue Knight/Restless Armor, or possibly its Infernal Armor upgrade. Either way, it takes a lot of arrows before it gets up in my face, and proves damn resilient even once it's there. If it weren't for that herb the Minidemon dropped, I'd be dead. Hoping for another such herb I kill another Minidemon via archery, and instead it drops this:


An Opal ring if I'm reading it right. IDing it reveals its real name, which I think is a... beautiful ring? Not sure what power that imparts, but if it's beautiful I doubt it'll be a cursed ring. So I put it on. No idea what it does, but the DQ curse music doesn't play. Good enough for me! Elsewhere on the level I snag a Topaz ring, which I'll leave alone until I can ID it.

Ah, handy! One of the herbs I'm carrying I know from experience in other RPGs is the Antidote Herb. I find another on the ground, and my inventory is full, so I eat it for the stamina. Turns out, if I'm reading it right, that Antidotes are what restore your Power stat to full.


Now I have a problem. This Rogue Knight has me down to 4HP. I don't think my next hit will kill it. So I've taken a couple steps back into the room and I'm going to try what I hope is the Sleep scroll on it. Let's find out!


Nope, that's the see the whole dungeon floor scroll. He missed me on his next swing, so it's time to read something else at him. My best bet is the Bang Scroll. I only hope he's weak enough now for it to be enough.


Just! I level up and crawl into a corner to lick my wounds for a few turns. One nice side effect of the dungeon-seeing scroll is that it also shows me where traps are, it turns out!

Then I screw up again.



That Rogue Knight followed me through a maze, and the Mummy stepped between us. I get into a room and take one wrong step, and now they're both able to hit me. Nothing to do but get into that passage to the north so we're single file again.


Made it to the stairs! Later, suckers! By which I certainly don't mean you, brave and patient readers, but this strikes me as a great place to leave off for now. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment