We don't always like being nonplussed

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Torneko no Daibouken Day 3: in which Torneko lives through a whole post.

The nice thing about Mystery Dungeon games is that you're never quite screwed the same way twice. But you will be screwed. And frequently. No shield to start with this time, so I'm taking 2 damage a hit from slugs this time through. But!



Sword! And that Slime's sitting on an Herb of some sort! Let's see if we can get through this...

Levelled up killing the slug, enabling me to one-hit the Slime. Weapon's another Club, and the Herb? I have no clue. A little more wandering, and I pick up a mystery staff, another monster-locator scroll, and a loaf of bread. Onto floor 2! Again. Came in nose-to-nose with a slug, and a Momonja came up as I was finishing that off. Those do 3 damage a hit. I have to find a shield.


Hey, there's another Magician! You know, like the one that killed me yesterday! Let's... let's let him keep on napping, huh?


I recognize that item, I think! Some Mystery Dungeon games have an herb that let you breathe fire when you eat them, doing heavy damage once and once only. I'll hang onto that. A quick Momonja encounter and I'm Level 3, waltzing past another sleeping Magician. And now!


Jackpot! Shield first, natch.


Ooh, nice! Don't know what kind of shield it is, but it has a defense power of 6 as opposed to the 3 I had last time. That ought to keep me alive a touch longer. The scroll is Baikiruto, also known in various Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games as Bikill, Twinhits, or most recently Oomph. That should double my attack power for a short time- save that for a rainy day as well. Not heading downstairs yet, though- it's only gonna get worse, so I need to explore/level grind a bit. Yup, still a Dragon Quest game.


Found a second Oomph Scroll, and I can now one-hit slugs. Y, as it turns out, organizes your inventory- good to know. I brave a Magician- forgot to take a capture of that confrontation, but it costs me my Medical Herb and I just barely beat him. Even with my fancy shield he does 3 damage a hit to me. If I meet one of those that's awake, dude gets the fire herb. Nothing else showing up on the level, and I don't want to fight any more Magicians just yet, so I'm headed down.


Ah, new decor! A little more... rustic. That's what they say on the food shows when they mean crappy and half-assed, right? Yeah, it's rustic. Let's see what I'm fighting...


...but first, I know what this is! It's a Chikara(Power) Herb, and eating it raises the corresponding stat from 8 to 9. If Shiren the Wanderer and Torneko the Last Hope are any indicator, this should raise my attack power slightly as well.


...crap! It's a room FULL of monsters and I am nose to nose with a Magician. Herb time!



Damn, capture didn't get the fire breath. It's not that impressive to look at...



...but the 74 damage it did to the Magician sure as hell was. Thanks to that I'm level 4, and everything else but the Momonja falls in one hit. That took two. Scroll's another Oomph Scroll, Herb's another Chikara Herb. We're doing relatively well here.

I don't seem to have a picture, but I just snagged the all importal Rura Herb- AKA the Zoom/Return Herb. If I'm in deep Slimedrops here- assuming Torneko is awake -I think I can eat that and bail out and keep my items. Not my XP, but at least my items. So since I have an out, we'll pick up from here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment