We don't always like being nonplussed

Monday, January 3, 2011

Torneko 26: Wherein Things Go Unsettlingly Well.

Okay, I'm going back. Maybe if I find whatever the King wants on Floor 27, he'll grant me a divorce or throw that little shit Mondo into a nice, not-at-all-mysterious dungeon somewhere.


Oh wow, the Mystery Dungeon hates me today: Floor 3 is a Monster House and I come in next to a Magician. The unidentified staff I wave at it is a Transformation Staff that turns it into a Warpy Lump- jackpot! I'm out of the room an Herb later, and I should be able to pick off the enemies at my leisure. The Warpy Lump itself is proving a nuisance- it warps me back out of the treasure room FIVE TIMES before I take it out. On the upside, I'm Level 6 on my way out of Floor 3. This is good.

Here's a useful tip for dealing with Bodkin Bowyers or any of the other various Mystery Dungeon series' archers at long range: assuming there's nothing else to contend with in the room, move up one space and down one space continually. They'll keep moving towards you at a diagonal until you can take them out. By Floor 7 I'm one-hitting Magicians and have found an Escape Scroll. I've also got so many strong healing herbs on hand that I'm eating the lesser ones on sight to increase my HP max.

The problem with Mystery Dungeon games is that you have to keep moving, or you'll starve. So by the time I hit Floor 12 I'm only level 11. That said I'm not doing badly- only Chimaeras are doing me serious damage so far, and I can kill them in two hits. ...okay, Infernal Armors are a little tricker, but I managed to take out a pair of those, a Chimaera and a Hork in a narrow hallway and only had to use one Herb. I'm generally being semi-lucky with Bread as well- all I have is moldy bread, but I keep finding Antidote Herbs just as I need to eat. And I can now take out a Bag o' Laughs with a single arrow! Nice.

On Floor 16 I find that treasure of treasures: a SECOND Escape Scroll. I can bring one with me next time if I just get out of here alive. This is turning out so far like the opposite of the last run: lot of arrows, lot of healing... not a lotta food. On Floor 19 I make the annoying discovery that the Rock Trap that makes you drop your stuff can even make you drop your equipped arrows, meaning you've got to re-equip them. Bleh.

Talky post today, but I've got one more photo to end with: dig Torneko's stats on Floor 20.


Power's 13/13, Stamina's 81% (and I have a Big Bread) and I have three each of the Fire Breath Herb, Greater Healing Herb(for lack of a better name) and Escape Scroll. Tomorrow we'll see if I'm good enough to take all that to floor 27, finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment