We don't always like being nonplussed

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Torneko 29: Feeling less like the Fussbudget.

The next run was a good but dull one, which is why I'm not doing the play by play for it. It would up netting me about 10K and some decent gear and an Escape Scroll for this coming run. I'm hoping this will be The One. I may well be able to hit Floor 27 AND my 50,000 goal at the same time if I'm lucky, and smart. Really I'd settle for one or the other at this point. I'm not greedy.



For this run I choose a plated Dragon Shield, a Power +3 Ring, and the Escape Scroll. The power ring should offset the lack of a weapon a bit, and it leaves a sword in the vault in case I screw up and lose all my stuff AGAIN. Let's go!


Floor 3 nets me a +2 Dragon Killer and an Oomph scroll to get it to +3. Weapon deficiency: SOLVED. To weaker monsters like Drackies, I do 14 damage at Level 3. Lookin' good. And then I find a +3 Liquid Metal Sword on floor 7- better still!

And I remembered another tip that may be useful to you: the B button is Dash; you can move really fast in a straight line until you hit a square adjacent to an item or monster. It really speeds up uneventful corridors. It's also a great way to run over traps by accident, but there's another good use for it: you can walk onto items and see what they are before you pick them up. Since I do NOT have the inventory space to be suffering Clubs gladly, this is handy.

Floor 11 nets me the all-important second Escape Scroll, which is good since I'm not seeing a ton of Bread this run. Know what else is nice?


Finding a Monster House AFTER using the Remira Scroll, which shows me all the traps on the floor so I can avoid them. End Result: I'm down two Bang Scrolls, up two points of Defense on my shield, up a point on my sword, and with another Escape Scroll and Big Bread. Excellent.


Woo, it's a Rare Metal/Liquid Metal Slime/Metal Babble/Metabble! Possibly THE most renamed DQ monster ever, it is a font of valuable XP if I can just kill it once I'm done with the Golem. I'm sure it'll run. Sadly it not only moves at double speed, but WARPS whenever you land a hit. There's no way out of the room to see the rest of the level except over the trap door, which dumps me down to floor 17. Next time, LMS! Next time!

Another Monster House down there. No Remira Scroll this time, but I do have piercing arrows and two more Bang Scrolls. It turns out to be a pretty complicated operation: I lead away a pair of Bomb Crags and smack them until immobile. When I step in the room to get everything to line up for my piercing arrows, a Goopi by the door grabs me by the shirt and I'm stuck there, surrounded. The Bang Scrolls take care of the worst of it, and a Warpy Lump puts me elsewhere where I can engage the rest of the monsters in small numbers. Not a huge payoff, but enough money that I've met my wife's latest quota. Maybe it'll be a giant statue of her or something. Or of Mondo.

Tomorrow: Floor 18 and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment