We don't always like being nonplussed

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Torneko 32: Only you understand me, Mystery Dungeon.

You know? It's really not so bad down here anymore. Except for killing me, nobody WANTS anything from me. Nobody wants me to finance their financial empires and put my son in the hands of a carefully groomed, equally ruthless successor while they party with TWINS in a house built with my money. All my problems down here can be solved with swords, and that's a refreshing change.

The pluses I've piled on my gear give me an Attack and Defense both of 11, so the early levels are a breeze. I also pick up a couple Buff Scrolls to kick the Defense up to 13. Gonna need it.

This is actually the point at which Mystery Dungeon games begin to be manageable and not just bleak marches into mostly-inevitable death- I can take my gear with me, hopefully keep accruing pluses, and bail before I die and lose everything. Enough of these trips and I will be an unstoppable death god. At present, though, I'm content at my current power level of Thinking of Magicians as Easy XP Rather Than Potential Doom.

Nothing of note really happens on the first fifteen floors, except that I walk into a Monster House full of Goopis- which would pin me down in the middle of the field of monsters with little chance of survival -and promptly fall through a Pit Trap. Whew!

So far, today's great revelation is that if you use a Monster Locator Scroll in the presence of a Mimic it will be revealed for what it is. Other than that, I bolt around Floor 24 with another +3 added to my shield this round and some more Escape Scrolls for the vault.

I'm not sure what's happening to the money I bring home anymore. I'm hoping I can smuggle some of it out to my son, but I'm sure my wife won't allow this. He must be trained, by Lulu.


I found a new item! Apparently it makes you level up instantly. I think it's called the Lucky Herb (Maybe the Happy Herb? Unsure), but for ease of recall I'm going to call it the Rare Candy. I find a second one by killing the elusive Liquid Metal Slime, which also nets me 500XP! For the first time in a long time, I'm ahead of the floor by a level on Floor 16. Sounds like a good place to call it for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment