We don't always like being nonplussed

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend Special - Pokemon Black, Party Planning edition.


Alright, since the review of Mother is going to have to be put on hold, and Pokemon Black is only a little over a week away, I thought it would be time for a little advice when it came to planning your party.

First off is your starter. It doesn't really matter which one you pick, as long as it isn't Wotter. I hate to say it, but you can get a Water type early enough in the game that he's basically useless. Cute, but useless.


I know Tepig is a play on 'tepid,' but I can't help but read the name as 'Teh Pig.'
As some of you remember, I went with the fire starter as my party leader for most of the game. I found that he was able to survive most anything, given a fair amount of leveling, but I imagine the grass starter will be the same way.

The other thing to take into account is that you'll have to fight your starter's weakness at the first gym, which is tough, but in return you'll get the monkey you're strong against. In my case that was a Plant type monkey.

I wonder what Broccolonkey's English name is? ...Pansage? Okay.
Behold, Dunky in all of his blurry glory. He's actually pretty useful, but trust me when I tell you DO NOT EVOLVE HIM! he will gain no additional moves, and he will become pretty useless later in the game if you do. That's a damn shame, because otherwise he could have carried me through to the end of the game.

So Mamepato is Pidove, huh? Sounds appropriately Pidgey-esque.
You'll start running into these guys after the first Gym, and trust me you'll need one. You'll always want to have a flying type on hand for Bug and Grass types, and this guy can hold his own weight fairly well throughout the entire game.

Tympole, AKA Otamaro, the {:} Pokemon.
This sad looking motherfucker can not, though. Sure he's good against fire types, but most everything else will trample him, till you evolve the hell out of him that is. Even so, he can't use the last water HM you get, so you'll probably trade him out for a fish at some point.

Patrat, AKA Minezumi, the 'No, I'm not Bidoof, why do you ask?' Pokemon.
You need a HM whore, and this is the guy. He can use most of them, and on top of that if you level him, he's got pretty good stats. He won't be your first choice as fighter, but he'll be a good backup for once the enemy is hurt, and ready to fall. Don't expect him to beat the Elite Four unless you've already weakened the last monster someone has out severely.



Victini, AKA Victini, the Pokemon your editor probably will never get because he hasn't even gotten Dragon Quest VI yet. Shocking, I know!

What can I say? I like the little guy. If I had been thinking about it at the time, I would have called him Gizmo. He's what you'll all be getting as your first Mystery Gift, and he's worth the trouble it takes to raise him, because he's got one of the best type combination in the game. He will see you through the Elite 4, and out the other side to your battle with N and his uber party.


Of course, party construction is always a matter of the trainer's personal opinion, and choices. Just remember that when you have your party picked out in advance, you're better set for power leveling. If you have the party you like by the second or third Gym, and stick to it, then you're going to plow down the Elite 4 without any worry.

Looking forward to battling some of you readers in the future. Who knows, maybe we could arrange an official Flailthroughs tournament some time in the future... Distant future, since I'll need to do a lot of power leveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment