We don't always like being nonplussed

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Final Fantasy VI - Day 15 (The first update on my magic carpet ride)

So... Hi... Um, what for you has been a week, for me has been... much longer. Forgive me, but I was side-tracked by Okami (which was on loner, so I wanted to get it finished, and was a pretty good game, once you got over the learning curve), and then Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (a VERY good game thus far, even though no matter what you do, even the best ending is the bad ending... which was why I didn't play Final Fantasy X, but hey, I'm a pitiful, pitiful KH fangirl). In any event, I'm back to this, and level grinding my face off. Just to give you a bit of extra insight into my life, and I know you're thrilled to have that, I recently had a wisdom tooth pulled, and I'm on Lortab for the pain. The point of telling you this, dear readers, is that this weekend is going to be written from my magic carpet ride. Now without further adieu, on with the flail.

So it might interest you to know that despite having played this game before I didn't know/didn't pay attention to the fact that most magicite gives you a bonus when you level with it equipped. I seem to be the only person that this is news to, but in my original playthrough in the English version, I was cheating and did not particularly care about any of this good stuff. Now that I'm playing it straight, I care so hard that it hurts! For that reason, I'm very carefully monitoring everyone's levels, and at present I'm working with my current group of second-stringers: Tina, Setzer, and Cyan, as well as Locke because... Well I don't remember why he's in the party, but I'm pretty sure it's because a) I'm trying to teach him the stuff on the magicite he has a equipped, and b) he steals. I think once he levels/learns everything on that magicite, I'll head back to the airship and pick up Gau.

While wandering about on the continent with the Empire in my efforts to power level, I come across a new town that seems to be running a dog-fighting ring, and also has a Wedge (Biggs?) chasing a woman around... I don't know what they said, but I'm pretty sure he said something about taking her back to his moon base for to rape. In other news, I find a store and upgrade my armor. Hooray. The armor store seems to be the only high point of this town, however, since there's nothing new or useful in the weapons' shot. I suppose I should head back to the airship and optimize everyone's equipment so I'll know what I can sell... I'll get around to it.

While flying off to investiage strange new places, I head to an island in the northeast corner of the map, and look at what I found!

Intangir: Source of Magic Points, and frustration.
This fucker is healed by Thunder, which would be useful to know if I could remember which spells were Thunder so I could stop casting them, and he counter-attacks with Meteor, or I assume that's the spell, since rocks fall and most of my party almost dies... and two of them did die. It's also invisible and can't be hit physically until you hit it with magic, and disappears after you hurt it. Fucker. I better get SO MUCH good stuff out of this... I also learn that Blizzard heals him as well, as does whatever the spell that sends up a column of light. Well fuck. We FINALLY beat him after like, twenty rounds, and for our troubles we get... ten learning points... or whatever they're called in this, and NOTHING else. FFFFFFF- That's more fucked up than a batallion of drag queen paratroopers that refuse to wear underwear, and don't shave!

Well fuck that with a crowbar, I'm getting back on my airship and fucking off from here now, since there doesn't seem to be anything else worth note here. I wander about for a small eturnity, and then find a new town, where I pick up some new kit, no new weapons though, and a few new relics, not that I know what they are, or what they do. I also talk to a dancer, and she says something that apparently makes Cyan pout.

Ah, the famed 'Licentious Howler' scene.
Maybe it's just because the dancer sprite looks an awful lot like his wife in the ribbon and skirt department... And then she grabbed him, pulled him off to the side, at which point he freaks out, flips, lands in a fighting stance, spins, flips, lands on his head, and then everyone poops themselves.

Whatever that is she said, it's probably for the best that Gau wasn't here to hear it.
Apparently everyone is surprised and shocked that the only brunete in existance can get some action... and so is he. I don't know what just happened, but there were a lot of tilde sighs and more freaking out before everyone runs over to Cyan's aid... and he starts nodding vehemently, while Tina laughs her ass off.

DAHAHAHAAH I have no memories to speak of and even I can tell you're a wonk!
Then everyone joins back up and the comedic interlude is over. Aw, I'm sad. There's also a kid running around this town that seems to be on crack. I head down o the docks and talk to a guy on a boat and pick the second option... which then makes me set sail, shit. I hope my airship followed!

We apparently land in South Figgaro, and have to be smuggled off the ship in a treasure chest... a standard sized treasure chest... Now I'll admit, these are almost as large as a standard person sprite, but... FOUR people just fit in this ONE treasure chest... which means Tina, Setzer, Cyan and Edgar just got to know each other REALLY freaking well, apparently. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepyyyyyyyyyyyyy... Also no, my airship did NOT follow. Let's hope I can sail back.

No, no I can't. I lost my fucking airship, and I'll be dicked if I'm going to go over land all the fucking way back there, IF I even can. Reset time. I hope I saved before entering that last town.

No... no I did not... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! I don't know where my airship is here other. Fuck! Somehow I think this might me slightly easier if I weren't drugged up! Well I find the airship and fly off again... and land somewhere COMPLETELY different. So... apparently all that stuff happened to Cyan in an alternate dimension, or something. In this new area, I run into this:

Chimeras are always dicks.
and he's horrible and takes quite a bit of stabbing to finally take down. Jerk off. I think I might have found Thamasa, or whatever village Relm and Strago are from, because no one really wants to talk to me, and they won't sell to me either. Stuck up bastards. The inn also wants to charge me fifteen hundred gil to stay the night. As a wise woman, who was pretending to be a man, once said, stick it up your jumper! Well, I found Strago:

'Hello! You don't need to know who I am yet!'
But he's being a d-bag and telling me to gest out of his house. Cranky old asshole. Well, apparently I'm not supposed to be there yet, so screw hem, I'm gonna wander off and fight some more monsters. Like these things...

Oh, these sneezy sons of bitches. What a pain.
What the fuck are these things? I don't know, but they're uglier than my mother in a bathing suit, and apparently they can sneeze someone out of the battle... assholes. Our friends the hermit squids seem to have made a reappearance here, and Tina's getting a bit nervous. I get back in my airship and wander off to try to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, and I find that town again, and once more watch Cyan freak the shit out after the dancer talks to him... and I missed it, but let me tell you, Gau's freak out sprite? HILARIOUS!

Speaking of out beloved feral child, since he's in my party, it's to the Veldt to teach him a bunch of new mojo! Hooray Veldt! How is this helping me level and/or figure out what I'm supposed to do? It's not, but at least it's making him more useful character, right? Besides, at this point even if I an into a plot hook, by the time I finished it this post would be WAY too long, and then tiny little bunnies would eat your eyes and make nests in your brains, as they're wont to do. Of course if that happens the only way to get rid of them is to rub mustard in your hair, stand on one foot and beat a mime with hot speghetti, and no one really wants mustard in their hair, now do they?

... Yes, the meds are going strong, how cand you tell?

Of course, the law of the Veldt being what it is, I only run into the super rare, super powerful monsters while Gau's already off on another monster's back. Booger. I was hoping that he'd pop out of that behemoth I ran into earlier, but sadly no such luck. Also apparently that is NOT a behemoth, but a 'sleeping lion' and 'intangir' in the English version. It seems to be super rare, and perhaps the reason it doesn't give experience when you kill it is because it casts X-zone, or something similar on itself. The method I've been using is Demi/Gravity, and then rounds of healing until everyone is back to full after its counter-attack, and then Demi/Gravity again, wash, rince, repeat. Apparently an alternate method is to cast Death on it while invisible, which will flat out kill it, or hit it with Stop, which will make it visible and unable to attack, and then wail on it. And since I wasn't the one to look this up, it's a-okay for me to pass this along.

So I found out another thing that pretty much everyone aleady knew. If Gau is a member of your active party, you don't get any experience while on the Veldt. However, if you leave his ass on the airship, and wander about the Veldt, you can get experience. Handy tip, huh? Shame you all already knew that... Oh yes, I'm onto you. I see you out there, running around with your heads full of thunk, and stratagizing. Don't think I don't know! I know ALL about your plan to invade Easter Island and take over the tupperware industry through gratiutious use of the Zombie status. Well I won't let you! I know you're only weekness too, an my fearless parasailing wombats will storm your base and destory it! DESTROY IT!!!! And then you'll have to go home and eat pudding! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

... I don't know either. But I that I should call it here, because what for you have been paragraphs has been an eight hour grind, and I'm not even joking. I'll see you tomorrow, and until then, remember... lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur lemur.

No comments:

Post a Comment