We don't always like being nonplussed

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ogre Battle Part 10: There Wolf. There Castle.

Okay, we're off to Lake Jansenia! If my memory serves me, the locals are having a problem with the young women in the area disappearing at night. And there are odd rumors about Sirius, the area's ruler. Werewolfy rumors...



Oh, this is going to be a party. You can see where FLAIL and the rebels come in on the lower left, and you can probably make out Sirius' castle on the upper right, yes?


Well, here's the shop town, next to Sirius' place. Hoo boy. My problems are going to be compounded by the fact that I intend to leave Grimm in the barracks FOR SERIOUS THIS TIME, and so we're going to try and rely on our lower-level units. In a way, letting Grimm get that high in levels is bad for everybody, because that XP could've been spread around. It's going to be a long fight...


And the cherry on top of this Complication Sundae? There's a river between our HQ and everything else on the map. Canopus can get over it pretty quickly for his scouting mission to the far side of the area, but everybody else is gonna have to swim.


We get to the first town, and Sirius himself comes to visit us. Seems pretty harmless- I mean, he's a Fighter, right? They usually can't even lead their own units!

Usually. Hmm...

I park four people on the first town and with Canopus elsewhere, that leaves me another four units I can deploy. Ultimately I pick three- Lanselot and Landis head north to a point across the river from a distant town, and Kamui heads right for the town. Using a rough and tumble Beast Tamer to liberate a town isn't going to do my rep much good, but it's going to take a serious dive in a few stages if things play out as I intend. So, meh.

The first unit that comes into view is Lv. 5, Knights and Fighters. Doable, though it may be a tough fight for some. For others, it may be bad for ALI- I may have to rush this one, we'll see...


Canopus' mission is a success! The Roshfallian Temple here tells us what I already knew: Sirius is a Werewolf by Night. And they give us a Rune Axe, yet another Holy-element weapon to use against him. Much as I'd like to drop this on the other Hawkman in Canopus' crew, I don't intend to use him to fight the boss unless I have to, so I'll hold onto it until I decide who does.

Fighting has commenced. Hanna the Cleric does pretty well against the Knight/Fighters unit, mainly because Sirius is a moron and put the Knights in the back row where they only get one attack each. We'll see how she does with the FIVE units coming up behind. Meanwhile, we'll divert Kamui to a closer town up river in hopes of serving as a distraction- he doesn't much need high ALI, so he can make a longterm stand if he's got to.

Hanna loses her second fight against Berserkers and Amazons, and since I diverted a couple higher-level units to a lower-traffic town, it's Ellis the Valkyrie against the world until Hanna marches back to town. Hope she can hold it...

So far so good: Ellis the Valkyrie and her troops beat back a couple enemies and level up, and Cleric Hanna's almost back to town. Meanwhile, Beast Tamer Kamui has taken the northern town he was passing when I changed his orders, so maybe that'll get the enemies' attention. Soon we'll see if I can make my two-pronged attack strategy work...

No comments:

Post a Comment