We don't always like being nonplussed

Monday, April 3, 2017

Fun With Hong Kong Bootlegs: Ah! My Goddess (AKA Oh My Goddess!) Part 1

So it's been forever, huh? I think it's well past time I actually update stuff here again. I haven't played any new games in Japanese lately (though check out my YouTube as always for Gundam Battle Operation and Isstvan's for a bunch of Minecraft) ...but I have still been on the prowl for Hong Kong DVDs with great subtitles. I managed to score 2/3rds of Ah! My Goddess season one, perhaps better known under the Dark Horse Comics title of Oh My Goddess! It's a lovely little romance-comedy by way of supernatural sitcom. Standard anime stuff, except the leads are just so darn nice.

The premise: shy, lonely automotive nerd but genuinely nice person Keiichi Morisato tried to dial for takeout food one day and instead got the Goddess Relief Office, where the First-Class Goddess Belldandy answered his call and granted his wish. That wish was "I want a goddess like you to stay with me forever."

In the first volume (which is absent but we'll visit in a clip episode at some point), Keiichi and Belldandy have fumbled towards a romantic relationship at a slow pace but one they're both comfortable with. This has been thwarted to various degrees by interactions with Keiichi's sister Megumi (called "Aki" in the subs because huh?), the members of Keiichi's college club, the Nekomi Tech Motor Club, and Belldandy's sister Urd, whose JFA attitude really isn't helping things much.

We now join Ah My Goddess, already in progress.





Sayoko Mishima is likely to start a fistfight, as much as the sisters have bruised her practically Shatnerian ego.
 Obvious subs are obvious.
...somehow I doubt that's true. But this is the first time Aoshima hasn't gotten what he wanted.
 Obvious subs are, once again, obvious.
 (Context: she's kidnapped Keiichi to torture him in order to get him to reveal Belldandy's true nature to here. Luckily this is a sitcom, so it's snails instead of waterboarding)
Well, she said she was looking for an apartment with atmosphere...

(I apologize for nothing)
 That's gonna work. Sure.
 Urd is a chemist, so I doubt this would be difficult.
 Is it a Shadow Game?
 Ooh, fancy.
 Oh yes, very many power.
 It's awkward phrasing (the devil you say!) but fairly literally true.

And that's it for part 1. This is barely scratching the surface though, so expect more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment