We don't always like being nonplussed

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Torneko Day 14: Couldn't I just run Ed Sullivan clips and Doo Wop concerts?

It's a beautiful day in Mystery Dungeon land! For those who didn't read yesterday's post: Torneko managed to get out of the dungeon without being dead, and handed a lot of stuff over to his wife to sell in the shop. A rare occasion indeed! And now it's back into the dungeon to get killed again.

...well, not quite yet. Starting the game gets me the Level Up music, so I'm assuming that the stuff we sold means we hit our fundraising goal. Guess I'm gonna be delivering some tote bags to Slimes in a bit...



Holy crap this place is getting big. Not finished yet though, so guess who's going to be doing more money-gathering shortly?


Yup. New goal is 5000G. If I keep leaving the dungeon dead that could be a while, but we'll see. The area around my shop seems more populated now as well, and my kitchen has grown a couple more old people. I sure hope that's not what my wife is buying with the leftover money from my adventures.

And we're off!

Winter-themed now, huh? Bet it's only gonna get more dangerous too...


So far I'm actually doing pretty well. I got a good set of arrows that enabled me to kill Magicians early in so I'm level 6 by floor 5. And I discovered another scroll's purpose:


That's the Remira scroll. It lets you see the entire floor you're currently on. Not where the items or monsters are, but the layout itself and all the traps. It also lifts the fog effect when you're in tunnels and lets you see what's happening everywhere on the screen at all times, even if your map doesn't reflect that. Next floor down, I find a Riremito Scroll, so I have a way out. Looking good. Plus I'm waist-deep in Bread. If I'm careful I'll do well. Floor 10 is an interesting oddity you see in Mystery Dungeon games every so often:


The whole floor is technically a Monster House! Fortunately I picked up a Bang Scroll, which hits everything in the room. The floor IS a room.


It did a fair amount of damage to everything, but I wish I'd had two- it takes a vast assortment of arrows, herbs and other tricks to kill everything in my path. But I do, and now I get to collect all the stuff as monsters spawn at the manageable rate of one or two at a time. Pity the Horks barfed my shield down to a completely useless -6. (And I sort of threw my backup shield at one of them as a desperation attack.) Among the spoils are a couple Oomph Scrolls and the safe that lets you keep all your money if you die. Which is good, because I'm damn close to the next goal.

Another item that's been exceptionally helpful getting me this far is the staff that changes a monster into one of the other possible types on a given floor. That's gotten Chimaeras off my back more than once. Tomorrow, we'll see how far Torneko gets this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment