We don't always like being nonplussed

Monday, September 13, 2010

Flailthroughs - Jump Superstars! (Part 11)

A trip to the Barbie Dream Megalopolis in Jump Superstars.


And back we are to the world map. It seems that this city, while it slightly resembles something from Dragonball, is related to Generic Sports Manga, with its main character, Generic Kid. On top of this, the city seems to be Barbie pink, so I can only assume that this world is the result of some sort of evil mutation gone wrong, and a post-apocalyptic Barbian Society... if only manga was that normal. I enter the first battle in the Barbie Dream Megalopolis with hope that the football manga characters are more interesting than they look.

It was. I must add that this is apparently because the main characters in the series are Nult and the Stoner Kid from Shaman King, which I never knew. The battle seemed as though it should have been football related, it really did, since the stage took place in a football stadium, with platforms made out of footballs... From this, one might assume that the characters would have had something to do with football... Who knew? I'm also impressed by the bento boxes full of poison... seriously. I'm sure that they're supposed to generate whatever item might come to mind, much like the fruit pirate booty, but every time I crack one open I am met with a spray of little bottles of poison bent on my personal destruction. Japanese school girls don't play games when it comes to football, according to this game.

Once again, I am met by a stage that confuses me to no end. I am playing Nult this time, since I haven't used him in a while, and it turns out that my enemy is Sakura. Now, rather than her running off into a corner and crying about how she can't do anything (it's the truth) she is attacking me full force... Not too much trouble, but I can see from a counter in the corner of the screen that I am not supposed to kill her... What am I supposed to do? It turns out, I'm supposed to smash my head into treasure chests, and knock them into the wall. Thankfully, Nult's head is particularly useful for this task, but Sakura is pretty fast and has a bad habit of jumping in front of me and hitting the boxes... for this, she must die. I do manage to complete the stage, denying my enemy of fruit and starving them into a slow, painful death, and I am glad. I don't meet any of the other options for extra panels, but who cares? I starved a bitch.

I leave the Barbie girl in her Barbie world behind, and apparently walk across a lake, which makes sense as I am still a god. This battle appears to take place on a shore line, and is related to the Prince of Tennis manga... I don't know how many tennis matches actually take place on the beach, but I'm going to have to guess not many. Moreover, this doesn't look like a beach as much as a cliff, so this could be the most interesting match in ages.

Who knew Sasuke and the guy made of Swords from One Piece liked tennis so much? They must, because that's who I'm fighting. On top of this, they even seem to be summoning the characters from the tennis manga to back them up, so they must be good buddies. I seriously have no idea what the goal of this stage was, but I manged to finish it in spite of the lack of balls or rackets... Well ok, there were a lot of balls, but I was standing on them, and as a guy that kind of makes me uncomfortable, so I'm not going to talk about it... Don't judge me!

Onward to the next stage! Oh look at that! Our friends the fruit pirates have returned, and they have left behind their vast riches! This is just what I had hoped for, as I was feeling a bit of scurvy coming on. Seriously though, I know I keep mentioning it, but the fruit starts to get silly after a while. It explodes forth out of every barrel like some sort of citrus volcano, raining down on the unsuspecting player, ready to blind him with its deliciousness. Now I won't lie, I have been known to enjoy a... well, I'm not sure... it's either a lime, or a kiwi with a pillbox hat on, I can't tell. Either way, I'm sure they're delicious, but not enough to make me stop fighting someone to eat. Anyway, I suppose I should stop focusing on that and move on to the rest of the game... Perhaps next I'll fight some sort of giant fruit?

I'd have felt damn well psychic if that had been a stage where I fight Sasuke, but the guy in the suit from One Piece is pretty close in that department. The stage is baseball oriented, so characters from a Pirate manga are a must, and Bobobo... well, you can pretty much throw anything involving him in and it would make sense. Seriously, you could be battling in a giant cabbage and there would be nothing out of the ordinary for that manga, and I appreciate it about him. He's like the glue that binds this insanity into one cohesive lump of crazy, and without him this would make... well, a bit less sense, but still none worth mentioning.

Oh joy! Another, "take no damage" stage! Just what I wanted! and look! Jojo AND Luffy! TWO really fast characters, with really, really fast flurry attacks! What more could I ask for in a stage to drive me to the brink of suicidal madness? A floor made of lava? Fighting someone with massive amounts of long range attacks? A 30 kill requirement? Nope, this stage really has everything, and now I'm going to feel exceptionally dumb when I run into a stage like that. Yep... twenty-two tries... twenty-two tries, of me simply trying to avoid damage, and I manage to beat the stage... I need a break for now, or else I'm going to bite off my own tongue.

Take care gang, I'll post more tomorrow, if I haven't been committed yet!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment