We don't always like being nonplussed

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Torneko no Daibouken, Day 2: Bastards, I tell you!

Okay, when we last left our hero Torneko, he had accidentally quit for a while while trying to find the map display. And now, we're back! Turns out the one I wanted was the one in the upper right marked Mappu. That was way too obvious for me to try, naturally.




So I wander into the room in the center where the monsters are sitting still- that means they're probably asleep. I find a sack with some gold, beat the slugs down, and...



Hooray, Level 2! Those extra 5 HP will really help. For as long as I'm in this particular dungeon. Yeah, Mystery Dungeon games can be bastards. A few more gold and a bundle of arrows later I've seen the whole level.



Quick Kanji lesson! That first symbol next to the arrow? It's the symbol for Down. And down we go!

I'm not gonna lie to you, a lot of these floors look totally alike. I punch my way past that Momonja, and into a really busy room.
Sword! Scrolls! Slugs! Magician- er, Spellcasters! Have to keep the alliteration going. Gonna go for the sword first and take on the sleeping slug next to it, who will wake up when I get next to him.


Hey, it's a Club! And I take a hit from the slug since I take a turn to equip it. Mystery Dungeon games can be bastards. Damn hardy slug too- takes two smacks of the club to defeat. Now for the scroll, since the Magician is also asleep. It's a Remira scroll- damn, I'm rusty with my Japanese Dragon Quest spell names. Sleep, I think? I'll find out later. Now to fire arrows into a sleeping Magician in a most sporting manner.



And now he's awake and in my face. Smiting time!
...and he and the slug beat me to death after he repeatedly casts Sleep spells on me. Crap. There goes the XP, the money, the items.
 Mystery Dungeon games can be bastards. But really: I screwed up, and screwed up big. I could've taken another step back when I fired at the Magician, and that extra turn of damage might possibly have been enough. And of course I could have just let him sleep. "Yet Another Stupid Death" is a common battle cry among Roguelike players, and this is one of many reasons why.

So now I'm back in the throne room, and it's time to head back out to the dungeon.

So here we go again! Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment