We don't always like being nonplussed

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Torneko Day 7: Honey, I can explain.

So here we are back in the dungeon, presumably to find things for Torneko's wife to sell in the shop. Which is where I assume the rest of my neat gear from the first runthrough has gone. So let's see what's new!





Okay, it's a Ghost. The awful early `80s Pac-Man cartoon had a ghost that looked almost exactly like this. It's also sleeping, much in the way a magician would. Let's not interrupt it. Unfortunately it wakes up and comes up behind me, but it's really not too bad, though I am down to half health now since I lack any kind of gear at all.


Also new for this dungeon: the Dracky, or Drackee depending on which game you're playing. Pushovers of the Slime caliber. Straightforward level otherwise except that there's a hell of a lot of bread lying around. Also picked up the ID (Inpasu) scroll and a staff that I might ID eventually or not. On floor two, there's this:



Can't identify it, but I sure as hell don't want to chance it being a Level 3 naked merchant as I am at the moment. Tip-toeing out of this room...


I also picked up this scroll here on Floor 2, and I have no idea what it is. On Level 3 I pick up a Dragon Shield- hey, a name I can read! I'm up to 3 Inpasu scrolls now, so I use one to check out the shield:


It is a base Dragon Shield, no pluses or minuses, with a respectable defense of 7. Good!
A couple of Funghouls at the start of Floor 4 manage to halve my Power stat, so I'm going to try eating this herb whose purposes are unknown to me. I'm pretty sure there is a full-restore herb, and this could be it...


...but isn't. That was really dumb. It renders the eater- you or the monster you hit with it -blind, meaning I'm repelling attacks from monsters I can't even see. I go back to the first room and cower in the corner until my eyesight returns.


It's a Lilypa/Bodkin Bowyer- or in Japanese it seems to be a Liliput Archer! Not too tough, and one of the arrows it fires at me misses me, so I get to keep it. A room down the hall I grab another new item called the Shanaku scroll- that's not a DQ spell I recognize. I would like a sword.


A Floor 5 Funghoul just dropped another Herb, the Medapani Herb- after dropping my Power again. Luckily I remember that Medapani is the Fuddle/Confuse spell before I go stupid and eat the thing.



And I encounter a Mummy, whose strength I underestimate, resulting in my premature and utterly avoidable death.


My poor wife finds me outside the cave, having been given the bum's rush, and nurses me back to health. I really should try and find her something nice next time I go back. Which I guess will be tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment